Wednesday, June 01, 2005

The Future?

Douglas Adams did a 4-part BBC4 radio series called HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE FUTURE, and it talks about how the Internet and technology will change life as we know it. Particularly music, publishing and broadcasting.

It's really great! You can listen to all 4 programs here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hhgttf/

What I wonder is this: Is blogging on of our first toddling steps toward that future? I mean, I HATE reality TV, but one of my favorite "shows" now is SilentBobSpeaks.com! (So to speak.)

Adams observes that the 20th Century was the first -- and possibly last -- to create fomrs of entertainment that are primarily non-interactive.

Blogging seems, to me, to be something of a return to the days of meeting up with your neighbors at the local general store and catching up with how your crops are doing and what your family's been up to.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just being wierd. (I'm told I do that from time to time.)

No comments: