Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I'm Offically Famous!!! (hee-hee-hee) ;P

It's now official: I'm a loser, lol.

Tonight a local news stationed aired a story about SecondLife and I was sort of the focal point of the story, lol. When I did the interview I was imagining it would be about a variety of different Austinites and their experiences with SL, maybe a "Look At The Varied Range Of People Who Make Up This Online Community" type of thing.

It wasn't, lol. It was "This Guy Has A GREAT Life... In SL, That Is" hehe.

I mean, not really, lol. Michelle Valles was exploring the shift that's happening in the way we network, the way we communicate. There are video blogs that, I feel, provide necessary exploration of the complete story she was trying to tell. But new packages have to fit inside the news, so even an anchor has only so much time allowed to them in order to cover the rest of the day's news.

But I watched it and -- because it's ME up there (and also probably because I'm a writer and I just IMMEDIATELY get ideas about how I would communicate any given story, without provocation and without even realizing I'm doing it) -- I saw the peice and I'm like "I look like a dork! I'm this homely guy who has no life except a fantasy life online!"

It's a bit funny because I've been blogging openly and honestly for years, but somehow seeing my big, fat self on local news and hearing my last couple of years condensed down into a 3-minute package is almost depressing.

Not really, though. I mean, here was my day:

Before I went to sleep I decided to get past Level 4 of Tomb Raider Legend -- where I've been stuck for several weeks now -- and I DID! Not only that, I zoomed through 3 or 4 sub-levels of Level 5! And that was fun!!! (I'm in Russia now, hehe.)

Then I slept fitfully for a few hours.

When I woke up Gnomey was online and we chatted until she had to go for the night.

Brian and I expanded some on the movie he and Tommy and I are working on for this year.

Then we started up a several-hour SIMPSONS marathon during which he made fajitas!!!

We paused our marathon in oder to break out this tiny little protable TV Kelly gave me several years ago (we don't have cable or an antenna for our TV) and watch the SL package, then resumed the Simpsons marathon until he went to sleep... Which is now.

Now, by chronicalling this, I'm not trying to prove I'm NOT a loser -- which this entry would fail miserable to do, hehe -- but simply to illustrate how differently a life can feel as opposed to how it can look when it's presented under a certain light. A story about SecondLife says (to my occassionaly insecure and/or self-conscious self) that I'm noboby in Real Life, but at least I can pretend to be somebody in SL. But in RL there are several different things going on that makes my last day off FEEL, as I'm living it, like a LOT of FUN!

I think there's a profound concept in there somewhere, though I can't mine it now. I need to figure out the 3 main characters for the screenplay.

But I think Michelle and her editor did a great job, and I just wish she had had the time to explore all the different aspects she was going for more thoroughly. But it would have timed out like a segment of Dateline, lol. Whenever someone makes a documentary about SecondLife I think it's gonna be a hit.


OOH!!!


And I had this cool profound thought about Gnomey!!! As I was falling asleep this morning I was thinking about her, just everything I know about her, all the aspects of her and her personality I've experienced in the less-than-a-year I've known her. I started out just going through all the pictures I have of her and all the times I've seen her on the webcam, and then just exploring specific details about her tastes in music, her relationships with her family and friends and best friend and ex-boyfriend and me and Brian, her tastes in TV shows and movies, different stories she's told me about work, about when she was in school, about adventures at the pub, the text messages we've swapped when we first got together and she and her best friend went to Cornwall... Just all kinds of stuff.

In high school I dated a lot. And throughout my life I've had several really close female friends.

And Wendy is ONE IN A BAJILLION!!! She's one in a gagafrillion!!!

I don't know if I've blogged about this before, but in Douglas Adams' forth Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy novel -- SO LONG, AND THANKS FOR ALL THE FISH -- Arthur meets this woman named Fenchurch who IMMEDIATELY takes hold of his heart and imagination. And I had forgotten about this until after Wendy and I had become a couple and I had picked up the novel again (for the 42nd time or so) but when I was a kid I was ASTOUNDED by the character of Fenchurch... particularly hers and Arthur's relationship. It was so WEIRD to me! Arthur (if you've read any of the Hitchhiker's books you know this) is a bizarre cat, but this woman is equally bizarre and in a different way, and together their weirdness seems to sort of cancel each other out somehow. It's like the Marx Brothers: Stick one of them in a movie and they stick out like a sore thumb; stick all of them in a movie and it becomes THEIR movie.

Does that make any sense?

Gnomey is a goddess whomever she's with, where ever she is. Not that superficial "diva" type goddess, but just this amazing woman who stands out in any crowd and attracts attention just by being her. (Though she might tell you otherwise, hehe.) But there's SOMETHING about her personality, something about WHO SHE IS, that seems to transform me from a guy his best friends get and love and get, but that the rest of the world might go "What's HIS problem?" into someone that kinda makes sense. Like when people see us together they won't necessarily look at me and think... well, whatever they'll think. They'll look at US and think "That's an interesting couple."

This isn't coming out right, lol.

What I'm trying to convey isn't really about Gnomey and me, per se. I'm just saying that she, as an individual, has a powerful and magical personality. So much so that, it seems to me, WHO SHE IS seems to synergize (if that's a word) with the personalities of those she's around, transforming the individuals into something new entirely.

That's how amazing she is.

I like to tell Wendy that God must truly be a She, and She made Wendy in Her own image.

And that's not just a cat trying to make his girlfriend smile, either. I truly believe that. It's the only thing that makes sense. It's the only way to explain how my Gnomey can have all the magical, mystical, wonderous qualities she has. God was feeling particularly inspired 21 years ago, so She made Her masterwork.

And SOMEHOW -- God only knows HOW, hehe -- Gnomey fell for me.

:D

Anyway, time for me to get some writing done.


P. S. If you watch -- or watched -- the local SL news package, I just want to remind you to BEWARE THE SEEDY UNDERBELLY OF SECONDLIFE, hee-hee! The drug cartells and terrorist cells and corporate feudalism can really be a bitch! When you're in SecondLife always remember to lock your doors and windows and don't drink anything that anyone gives you!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey baby!!! i loved the video i watched of the report as u know cos i watched it with u before i started work today. just wantin to say hi and hope u had a good sleep and i will see u in abit.

love gnomey munts munts xoxoxo