Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Research Is The Writer's Pleasure

It's a silly phrase and I don't know entirely what it means, but the implications I do understand I agree with.

Since I've fallen behind on my writing, I decided I needed to "sharpen my saw" so to speak, so I searched the net for some resources on writing horror. (Used to, I would go out and buy a new book about it, but since most resources tell you more or less the same things in different ways and with different emphasis, and since I already own many much-thumbed horror writing texts, I opted for a free refresher course.) And I found a fantastically insightful series of articles entitled "No Bones About It: How to Write Today's Horror" by David Taylor and REALLY ENJOYED IT!!

Like I said, I wasn't expecting to learn something I didn't already know, or even look at the craft of horror writing in a new light. I needed to go back over the basics and see if there were elements I hadn't imbedded into my screenplay's construction yet.

The first 3 parts were very concise and insightful and a great read, and the last part Part IV: Horror Novel Checklist was EXTREMELY USEFUL!!! I've been thinking of screenplay structure using screenwriting terminology for so long, and reading the basic structure of a horror story in horror terms really reminded me of the basic functions of the "Act II Turning Point" and all that!

Blah.

I'm talking Geek-speak, I know, but I was just so excited I had to blog about it!!!

I should get to bed now. Work tongiht, and I don't want to be draggin' ass again.

OMG!!! I almost forgot to share the MOST EXCITING NEWS!!! My darling Gnomey texted me from work today telling me that she has the money for a ticket to visit early next year!!!

I mean, who knows what could pop up and get in the way of her purchasing it, BUT HOW MUCH DO I LOVE THIS WOMAN THAT SHE'S SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING IT!!! :D

I couldn't catch my breath for a long time after I read that message! I mean, we had talked about it before, and I knew she was considering it... But I didn't know just how much was wanting to and how much was planning. Maybe she didn't even know. And it's an expensive ticket (I can't afford it yet) so I would SO NOT be disappointed if she didn't get to make the purchase.

But the fact that she is SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING it just makes me feel all special and imporant inside, lol! Have you been to her blog and SEEN the pics yet? THAT little hotty wants to meet ME in person!!!

The thought alone almost makes me pass out, lol!

Okay... Where was I? Oh yeah, I need to try to get some sleep, lol.

If I can, lol.

PEACE!!! :D

No comments: