Thursday, April 12, 2007

PREPPIN' FOR PRODUCTION!!!

So I wake up today early enough to exchange a couple of quality words with My Goddess!!! :D

Our schedules are still not meshing, but that's cool. We'll get back into our groove before long, I'm sure. Or -- I guess more liekly -- we'll find a new groove.

Whichever the case, we'll be groovin' together soon! ;)

But in addition to this...

Brian hit me with 2 exciting bits of information at once: He had spoken with Tommy and Tommy's on board with my zombie script as our short film for this year, and Brian had read a little of the script and was already excited about it!!!

So after my lady had to go for the night, I IMed Tommy and told him a little birdy had told me he liked the script. He replied by asking if the little birdy had told me to start prepping for production!!!

Now Brian was already excited by some of the ideas behind this project, and Tommy just wasn't feeling it. So the purpose of the script was to SHOW HIM what this film would look, sound and feel like.

And he liked it!!!

Which, it occured to me a little after I talked to Tommy, is a bit funny, because we just re-enacted a micro version of how films get made. The writer gets an idea and writes a script so that he can articulate this idea to the people who might want to make the movie. If it's a strong enough idea AND he articulates it well enough (there's no "either/or" in movies, it has to be BOTH) then someone helps him get his movie made.

This may seem self-evident, but for YEARS I've been able to sell my friends on the idea, without having to actually write the screenplay to prove the idea works.

This is, actually, not a good thing. It's allowed me to be lazy. For a long time now. Having Tommy question the validity of doing a zombie flick is actually one of the best things that has happened to me in my entire (ametuer) career!!!

And having won him over FEELS AMAZING!!! I feel as though this may -- all things considered -- be my best piece of writing ever, just because I had to EARN this flick, and I feel like I actually did!

Yay!!!


More interesting still... I didn't have any help writing. This was entirely made up of those "gifts" I blogged about a few entries ago, the gifts of idea that writers receive and then craft into stories.

Blah.

So anyway, the next time Tommy and Brian and I meet we're going over notes and tweaks for the rewrite, and I have NEVER been so excited about rewriting a project EVER!!! (In the past, I usually just abandoned a project rather than rewriting it, lol.)

For some reason I feel like a REAL writer right now, lol!!! Like I never have before, I feel justified calling myself a writer!

Ooh, and the cherry on the icing on Gnomey's... I mean, on the cake: I get to work and my friend Domic has scored me some HOT FUZZ swag!!! hee-hee :D I got a few bumper stickers (I put one on my car IMMEDIATELY) and a couple of promotional booklettes that look credentials for Simon Pegg's and Nick Frost's characters! SO COOL!!!

PLUS...

I figured out that HOT FUZZ opens here the same day I get paid!!! I mean, my schedule won't allow me to see it opening day, but Brian & I might be able to catch it Sunday!!!

Btw, if you like comedy -- particulalry SHAUN OF THE DEAD type comedy -- SEE THIS MOVIE AUGUST 20, 2007!!! Seriosuly, a really good Opening Weekend might even lure these Brits over to this side of the Atlantic to do a flick. And even if not, it might make dvd distribution company try just a little bit harder to get the rights and clearances needed to release SPACED over here!

And trust me, you will LOVE IT if you ever see it! In fact, here's Episode 1 to get you started, from YouTube.com. It shouldn't take you too long to track down the other 13 episodes for yourself.

It'll get you fired up for HOTT FUZZ, which opens Friday, August 20, 2007.

:D

No comments: