Monday, November 13, 2006

Welcome to the Mangey Raiders Drive-In Theater!!!

THE DRIVE-IN IS FINISHED!!! :D

Well, actually... It's been finished for a while. But I couldn't blog about it because I figured there would be little point in describing it to you without pics, and Gnomey hadn't seen it yet, so I couldn't post pics as she tends to read my blog, hee-hee.

But last night we went there together!!!

So here are the pics!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This first one is me and Brian watching one of the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes flicks while I take a break during and early stage of development. The drive-in is pretty much just a huge parking lot with a fence and a movie screen, heheh.

I don't remember if I've mentioned this before, but in SecondLife you can build things in the air, and it's advantageous to do so. SL now has a million or more residents, from all around the world, so at any given time you're sharing the servers with a few hundred people. The result of this is "lag"... You can't move as smoothely as a videogame, and it takes longer for textures to render.

But if you put your home, or your dance club, or whatever, up in the air, it's less laggy. I don't pretend to understand it, but it has something to do with the number of people within a single cubic measurement of cyberspace. The more people close together, the laggier SL gets. The fewer, the less. And apparently the rule applies vertically, as well as horozontally. So if, say, you're at an in-world concert attended by 50 people, and you're lagging really badly, you can fly up a hundred meters and the lag will go away.

Your view of the concert will suck, tho'.

So anyway, in wide shots of the drive-in you'll see that it's hovering in mid-air. That's why.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here's me taking a photo-tour of my creation after having finished it...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I'm really proud of the signage! Did all that myself! :)

Also, Brian made 2 of the 3 cars you see in the above pic! The General Lee and the Delorean. (The Delorean's license plate reads "outtatime", and the plate on the General Lee is accurate... But I don't remember if he went with the plate from the recent movie or from one of the episodes of the TV show.)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I'm proud of those speakers, as well. They're not nearly as detailed as they could be -- because I was keeping prim-space in mind when I built this place -- but the speaker part is an actually drive-in theater speaker! :)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here's what the whole thing looks like. :D It's a really cool li'l place to hang out. Especially at night. And one of the cool things about SL is that you can make it night (or whatever time of day you prefer) whenever you want!

There's a drive-in theater in Destroy All Humans (the first one) and it's really cool to hang out in (and blow-up) and it REALLY give you the sense of the scale. Mine is pretty small.

Still, when you're there you don't feel like it's small. It feel real.

Very groovy! :D

ALSO...

Bottom left of the above picture you can see Gnomey's and my house! It's a 2-story box on the outside (1, you really don't spend your time outside your house in SL, you're either in ir doing something or somewhere else doing something, and so there's no real need to waste the prims, particularly on such a small parcel of land as we live on; 2, a blue box in the middle of the sky tends not to attract a great deal of attention from flyers-by), and you can see the white tree in Gnomey's garden! She LOVES gardens! Before we hooked-up she used to spend a lot of her SL sitting in gardens alone. When we made the house I wanted her to have her own garden. It's not that great, really. It's 3 walls that look like flower gardens in the not-to-far distance backed by trees, and then you can see the actual (SL) sky through the trees. But she says she likes it, so I'm happy. :D

The white things you can see best in that pic are the curtains that seperate our bedroom from the garden.

Is this TMI? Are you bored yet?

More pics.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The poster on the ticket stand is a calander of movies playing back in June of 1950. Apparently, my drive-in has been around for quite some time. ;)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is me and Brian playing around one day. :D He created a sit-ball that allows one to sit inside the ticket booth. And for no reason that know of, he decided to be Freddy Krueger at that moment. So I had to get a pic.

I also had to...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Be Jason Vorhees! Growing up, I was a Jason fan and he was a Freddy fan. So him running around as Freddy just naturally made me wanna be my guy.

At some point, though, he switched to Leatherface. I think maybe just because he likes playing with the chainsaw.

It was A BLAST! We were chasing each other around the drive-in, attackign each other, and laughing our asses off! It was brilliant! It was just so funny to watch! The thought that what these two mass-murderers do during the day is chase each other around an old drive-in theater just killed us.

I know, it's a "You Had To Be There" thing, but take my word for it. ;P

Also, just a side note: Most of the cars you've seen in all these pics so far (like the one I'm standing on and the General Lee) are actually drive-able cars. They were mostly there for ambience. The cars that now are parked at the drive-in don't drive. They are, functionally, theater seats, lol. Brian made it so that they don't drive around, which is good because if they accidentally drove out of the drive in they would have a long, long fall.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is earlier today! :D Me and my baby makin' out next to the projection booth!!! :)

It was a short date because I had to run an errand for my mom, and when I got back my sweety was tired and needed to get some sleep. (This was around 5:30 pm my time and 11:30 pm her time.) But it was NICE! She seemed very impressed with the work Brian and I had done and seemed to be enjoying herself. :)

I friggin' love SL! I can't even see my baby face-to-face yet, but because of SL I can build a drive-in theater and actually watch a movie there with her!!!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

OOH! In the above pic you can see a newer addition to the grounds.

Driving back from my latest visit with Tisha, I stopped at the rest stop that I have stopped at many, many trips before. It's really cool and has this great vibe, so I wanted to recreate it in SL. I took a lot of pictures there at the rest stop and turned them into textures and uploaded them in-world.

I had created a rest stop box with textures to make the floor, walls and ceiling look like the ground, surrounding roadside and sky, but I tore that down when Gnomey and I were finally ready to build our home.

But then it occured to me that maybe a picnick table might not seem out-of-place just outside a drive-in theater! I don't know if I've ever seen it before, but I can imagine a family eating dinner outside the car, watching the movie over the fence, while rambunctious young ones run around and wear themselves out before the second feature starts.

It just seemed to fit.

And anyway, it's MY drive-in and I wanted it there, lol. So now my rest-stop table has a home. :)

Also, all the cars you see in these last 4 pics are non-drive-able. They're the ones Brian made specially for the theater.

e's working on a couple more. He wants to see some 1950s cars in the lot, so he's making a couple. (Which he will most likely make drive-able versions of as well.)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

After Gnomey went to bed I hooked up with another hotty...

Just kidding. That's her, too. She sometimes, and without warning, cycles through hair and clothes. We might be out dancing and, in the course of one song, she might go through 4 outfits, lol. I think it's an SL girl thing. I've seen others do it. Me, I tend to wear the same outfit for months and months in-world, lol. But SL women can burn through entire ensembles in minutes, lol.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And here we are gettin' a li'l freaky beside the consession stand. :D I wish I had angled this pic back and to the right a bit so that you could see the edge of the phone booth. But I was focusing more on getting us and the movie in the shot.

That's a Superman cartoon, btw. :D The movie screen is actually a HUGE SL TV, and the projection tower has a door in the back and a compartment with 2 SL dvd players. One player is loaded with, like, 40 vintage toons, and the other is loaded with, like, 36 vintage movies.

Some GOOD ones, too!!! Just off the top of my head there's NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD and SHERLOCK HOLMES: DRESSED TO KILL!!! There's plenty of crap, too, natch. Like THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE, lol. (Although I enjoy sci-fi/horror crap sometimes.) And then there are tons of movies I've never heard of, but I'm sure some of them are good.

Between Gnomey, writing, the PS2 and work, I haven't really had a lot of time to just sit back and watch a movie at the drive-in. Around Halloween Brian and I watched a Halloween-themed Popeye cartoon there. And I watched the first 3 minutes of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD there, too, lol. But that's about it so far.

I hope that my baby and I get to actually spend some time there. That's why I built it. But we'll see. The holidays are upon us and Life tends to happen, lol. So we'll see.

But if nothing else, the drive-in has given Brian and me a couple of hours of fun, and my baby and me a little time together!

Plus... It looks COOL, doesn't it!

No comments: