Sunday, November 05, 2006

Jak Się Masz? (pronounced "Yagshemash")

Okay, so guess where Brian and I just got back from...

That's right: BORAT: CULTURAL LEARNINGS OF AMERICA FOR MAKE BENIFIT GLORIOUS NATION OF KAZAKHSTAN!!!

Okay, this being the Number 1 top grossing movie of the weekend, you're either going to hear that Sacha Baron Cohen is the antichrist, or that BORAT is the comedy equivallent of the pilot episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Here's my take...

I'm not a fan of comedy that is derived from regular people being made to feel uncomfortable -- or flat-out offended -- by manipulative comedians... But this movie made me laugh SO HARD!

Some of that was laughter with one eye covered -- because I was made SO UNCOMFORTABLE by the "victim"'s offense/discomfort -- but most of that was because Baron Cohen exposes ingnorance for what it is. For instance, when frat boys' opinion of women allign with Borat's misogynistic view, then you KNOW our country has a problem. However, when the most accepting group of Americans is what he might refer to as "chocolate faces" and we might refer to as "gangstas" and they (apparently) hook him up with loads of vernacular phrases, you tend to be surprised by the juxtaposition.

I'm not even going into the "shock humor" moments that you're bound to hear about via MANY sources.

My point is that this flick deserves a viewing just to see what it has to say about being an American.

And it DEFINITELY has SOMETHING to say.

WHAT, exactly, is up to YOUR interpretation. :)

If the commercials drag you to the theater, then see it in the theater. If you feel like you can wait for dvd, then wait for dvd.

I HAD TO see it Opening Weekend because I was curious about a specific comedic mind at work: Baron Cohen's. And I got more than I asked for, lol. But in a good way.

AND...

I also got to see my baby TWICE today!!! (Because of our work schedukes, we haven't seen each other AT ALL this past week.) Julie Andrews spun frivolously around hills of flowers as I gazed upon the wondeous countenance of my sweet, sweet Gnomey!!!

I've ALWAYS heard that long-distance relationships didn't work out -- and my past would seem to corroborate that -- but I swear it doesn't apply to Soul Mates! I only love her more and more!!!

I LOVE YOU, WENDY-LADY!!! :D

1 comment:

RayJay said...

MWAH!!!

:D