Thursday, January 03, 2008

Bloggin' From The Sickbed...

I'm taking a break from fevered dreams and going to sleep freezing and waking up covered in sweat...

Night before last, I wanted to write a quirky blog about what I like about being sick, lol.

It would have entailed the sensation extravaganza of being too hot and too cold in one's bed, and the sort of fun of trying to find that balance.

But then I went to work last night... and came home... And now I'm sort of lost in the uncomfortable-ness of being sick.

So I can't write that blog entry anymore. :(

See, when I was young, back in school, and I would get sick, it was kind of like playing Hooky, only with more restrictions. I could lay in bed and watch movies on the VHS, and that was kind of cool.

And the last time I remember being this sick was a year or two ago, and while I tossed and turned in bed I watched EVEL KNIEVEL and SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS. I even watched HIS GIRL FRIDAY on my ZVue!

So when I spent 2 days tossing and turning and jumping from freezing to sweating bullets, I blissfully thought I was simply processing a cold.

Then I went to work...

It was the first day I was scheduled to return after my 2-week vacation.

I thought "I've been in bed for 2 days... I'm surely on the upside of whatever this is."

And hour and a half into my shift, I discovered I was not. :(

NOW I remember why it sucks so much to be sick. :(

When I got home last night, after 2 1/2 hours of my shift, I popped PRINCE CASPIAN into my CD player to help me drift off to sleep as peacefully and pleasantly as possible...

I had THE STRANGEST DREAMS!

I don't remember much about the narrative of the dreams -- and there were many -- but I remember that they all had to do with going to sleep freezing beneath sheets and comfortors, and waking up -- literally -- soaked in sweat!

And there was a lot of confusion about The Way The Kingdom Was Back Then and The Way The Kingdom Is Now. But I don't recall the particulars.

See, I've got a strange relationship to illness because, from my perspective, it's just part of being a human. However... DAMN it hurts! lol

This New Years Eve and New Year's Day was mostly me laying on the couch and Brian & me watching TWILIGHT ZONE episodes.

And that was fun! Please don't get me wrong.

But if I had paid more close attention to my body and what it was telling me, I might (MIGHT) have noticed that it was descending into a cold. :(

Still...

Okay, sitting upright in a chair is making me all kinds of dizzy at the moment, so I'll bring this to a close...

One thing that SO helps the human body's recovery process is contact with those you love... My baby called me today after work, and it was SO AMAIZING!!! For those however-many-minutes she and I chatted, I felt just fine! (Besides the odd gut-wrenching-cough from time to time, lol.) My baby ALWAYS makes me feel better than I did before!!! (Bless her!)

Another thing that helps one recover, I believe, is a decent dvd library, lol. Brian & I are watching the second season of LOST, but while I've been recovering, I've been falling asleep to the first season of LOST, as well as THE COMPLETELY MENTAL MISADVENTURES OF ED GRIMLY and (less successfully) THE CHRONCLES OF NARNIA audio books.

Now, granted, THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA didn't help me out a great deal... But I believe that's because of the episode I picked, rather than the series as a whole.

But I wouldn't have answered the call from My Baby if I hadn't been home, sick...

So I have to conclude that -- whatever the inconveniences -- being ill DOES play an integral part of being ALIVE. :)

No comments: