Thursday, September 20, 2007

An Odd Thought...

I was just considering -- as is appropriate, coming off of International Talk Like A Pirate Day -- the picture my Gnomey Goddess took of the statue of the pirate with the eye patch and realistic hook hand and peg leg.

And it occurred to me that that is one pitiful bloke.

I mean, he got -- what? -- 10, maybe 30 extra gold pieces per lost extremity when he was paid his prize money at the end of the voyage.

And you gotta HOPE the poor guy was already captain, or at least an officer, by the time he lost all his bits, because then he could get his subordinates to swab the deck, climb the rigging, sew the sails and knot the ropes. Because THIS GUY wasn't doing ANY of that anymore!

The man lost an eye, a hand and a leg!

If this was guy was just a deck hand, he had to find a new career at the end of that voyage!

Just a random thought that popped into my head as I wait for the remaining half-hour of my shift to pass.

;)

No comments: