Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Happy Belated TALK LIKE A PIRATE DAY!!!

Less than an hour left in the day proper as I post this, but I had to wish everyone a happy Talk Like A Pirate day!

I slept most of it, since I have work tonight.

But Brian and I talked pirate talk at each other and wore Jolly Rogers shirts, hehe.

Brian actually had YELLOWBEARD playing in the living room while he pirated around SL. So he really celebrated.

I used a bill of "pirate money" (one of several cute pirate-themed party favors Brian bought recently and shared with me) to mark Dean Koontz's BY THE LIGHT OF THE MOON, which I started re-reading again last night.

I'm hoping that whatever transpires over the next 12 months, starting today, next year I'll be celebrating Talk Like A Pirate day with my sweety, in person!!! I can just imagine her and Brian and me all talking like pirates all day to each other! :D

It'll happen, you just wait and see!

Meanwhile, my day is going surprisingly well for a "Monday" (or a WedThur).

I fell asleep listening to BY THE LIGHT OF THE MOON on audio cassette (I SERIOUSLY need to replace that with mp3, as my jambox is dying, I suspect... that or the tapes are) and I would sleep for maybe an hour and a half, then wake up, turn the tape over, listen to a side, then fall asleep to the second side and sleep for another couple of hours.

I had me some interesting dreams.

Not exceptionally cool, and not bad, either. Just interesting.

At one point I woke up, and I as tried to fall back to sleep without listening to more BY THE LIGHT OF THE MOON I came up with the opening for my current project. (I had AN opening, but this one is better, I feel.)

After I filled 3 1/2 pages in my notebook, I turned BY THE LIGHT OF THE MOON over and listened some more, falling asleep before that side of that cassette (like, tape 5 or tape 6 or something) was finished.

Finally, I woke up around 4:00 pm (which would be 10:00 pm by my sweety's time) so I grabbed my paperback version of BY THE LIGHT OF THE MOON and set up shop at the computer.

I read the last chapter here at work just now.

Good story! I like it even more the second time!

When I first read it I was comparing it to FROM THE CORNER OF HIS EYE and ONE DOOR AWAY FROM HEAVEN, which are both EPIC!!! Seriously, I believe both of those are Koontz's opuses. (Despite the fact that I haven't read NEARLY enough to be a real judge of his work.)

So when I read BY THE LIGHT OF THE MOON it felt a little "light" by comparison.

THE TAKING is also "light" compared to ONE DOOR AWAY FROM HEAVEN and FROM THE CORNER OF HIS EYE, but it's also just BAD-ASS!!! Seriously scary!!!

Whereas BY THE LIGHT OF THE MOON is merely a riveting thrill-ride, lol. (I say that facetiously... Koontz RULES, and any perceived "shortcomings" of some of his work is really only by comparison to other of his work. You know?)

But going back to it, knowing generally what to expect, I was able to appreciate WHAT IS so much more!

Anyway...

So I've had more of a Halloween-y day than a pirate-y day, but that's cool. They both rule, hehe!

Hope your Talk Like A Pirate day was groovy, but I hope your day ahead is ASTOUNDINGLY GROOVY!!! :D

No comments: