Thursday, January 26, 2006

Aw MAN...

Second Life HAS me!!!

This week-and-a-half off from my day job was supposed be be about seeing what life would be like if I were a proffessional writer: Writing during the day and relaxing during the evening.

Well...

I accomplished 2/3 of that today.

First, I woke up to oven-baked pizza (one of my favorite meals in and of itself) and pasta salad and a strong cup of coffee. While I cooked -- "heated", actually; the pizza, not the pasta salad -- and ate and drank my coffee I read a recent speech given by Michael Crichton about our fear-based "information" society. (It was BRILLIANT! Look for the section with his speeches at his official website, here. It's the most recent one.)

I already has a coupleof assignments that need my attention. One is this great half-hour audio story with 2 male characters, so Brian and I could record it on a weekend! I thought about what I wanted last night before bed, and maybe an hour and a half later I have most of the important parts of it, ready to be fleshed-out!

So that, or the other assignment that's on the front burner, were what I was supposed to do after breakfast.

Only I got this vision about how to make this specific item inworld (one of the main objects of Second Life is to create stuff) and I HAD TO log on and see if I could actually pull it off.

I did!!!

But it took me 6 or so hours.

By the time I had completed my project my bro was home from work, and there were 2 documentaries I wanted to watch with him. (Both subject matters that we're both interested in.)

The flicks were, respectively, THE ARISTOCRATS (about the craft of comedy) and THE LIFE OF BUDDHA (who has a profound take on spirituality). (Also, interestingly, Buddha was a cat who could have appreciated the spiritual aspect of the craft of comedy in society today.)

And I spent my creative energy inworld, so I've just been listening to some X MINUS ONE (some really good episodes!)...

Don't get me wrong, this was a GREAT day!!!

Just not as productive as I had imagined it would be.

Still -- as Brian generously pointed out -- I've got the rest of the week, the weekend, and half of next week. The work'll get done.

In fact, Buddha might even point out to me that if I didn't write today, the story probably isn't ready to be finished just yet.

No comments: