Wednesday, January 18, 2006

WE GOT A MINI-DV CAM!!!

This is TOO COOL!

Brian and my digital camcorder came Tuesday!!! It's a Panasonic PV-GS150, and it's actually BETTER than what we were looking for! (Also, we got it for less than the listed price!)

And Monday night I found a premise that should inspire many sketches! Keep us shooting and editing for a while! I wrote 3 sketches so far that Brian has approved.

And we'll have plenty of time to shoot. I had some vacation days left over from last year, so after Friday I'm on vacation for 12 DAYS STRAIGHT!!!

Life is sometimes just TOO sweet!

Am I a little overly enthusiastic?

Who cares! Life has ebbs and flows, AND I'M FLOWIN' RIGHT NOW, BAY-BAY! (And if you can't turn that statment into a dirty joke you should be ASHAMED of yourself!)

Also been listening to some Old-School radio sci-fi! I listened to an episode of DIMENSION X that adapted Bradbury's THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES, and that was cool, and an episode of X MINUS ONE (which was sort of a revamp of the DIMENSION X series) called "Mars Is Heaven" and it was pretty cool, too. (Bit of a Mrs theme goin' on there.)

Then today I listened to an episode of this South African radio series from 1968 called SF68. The episode was "Andover and the Android". It was pretty okay. Kind of cheesy. Largely standard science fantasy fair. (Or is that "fare"?)

I've got, like, 13 more episodes to listen to. I started on one, called "Space Cow"! And, of course, the titular space cow doesn't look at all like a cow, but more like a giant lizard!!! It's the humans that discovered this creature that named it "space cow"... Why didn't they call it a "space lizard" or "space dragon"? And the funniest part is that as I'm listening to the show, it occurs to me "If this were BAD sci-fi the 'space cow' would be reptilian." And then, a line or two later, one of the characters describes the way it looks and -- guess what! It's a lizard!!!

The problem is that the series borders on being good. It may have a couple of funny sci-fi cliches, but it's not so bad that it's PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE bad. Ya know? Like SPACE PATROL! That's a funny show! They communicate via space-o-phones!!! I kid you not!

But sometime this week -- maybe today! -- I'm getting 1,164 episodes (that's 260 hours) of the SUPERMAN radio series!!! As well as 129 episodes of X MINUS ONE (54 hours of sci-fi goodness)!!! And to cap it all off, a Halloween sampler disc of Old Time Radio shows, inculding some INNER SANCTUM, some SUSPENSE, 2 MERCURY THEATRE episodes, some DARK FANTASY, some WIERD CIRCLE and Halloween episodes of several shows INCLUDING 2 JACK BENNY EPISODES!!!!

If you don't know about Jack Benny and you like to laugh, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR and track down his radio show!!! It ran from, like, 1932 to 1957-ish, and it's STILL FUNNY! I mean, you know, there are some gags that are just too naive for a 2006 audience, and comical references that are just too out-dated to get. But Benny is famous for hiring the best writers of the time and treating them well and paying them WELL. Plus, with 25-plus years of shows, there's TONS of material to enjoy! I recommend mp3 discs, like these from OTRCat. You can just load up your ZVUE or iPod and go!

Ooh, and I've got 1 MORE Narnia story to listen to and I've heard the entire series!!!

And that's a cool series! I spent, like, 9 1/2 hours over 2 or 3 days converting them to mp3s so I could listen to them anywhere, and I believe that was TIME WELL SPENT!!! Seriously, I HIGHLY recommend you grab THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA RADIO THEATRE collection (if you're impatient, like me) or the individual radio adaptations, starting with THE MAGICIAN'S NEPHEW, if you'd rather not blow that much all at once. (Though, to be precise, you do end up saving money if you buy the collection, rather than buying each story seperately...) Lewis create a great world to hang out in, and the radio productions are just TOP NOTCH!!! There's something about being surrounded by the sounds of a world that really help you BE there! (Don't believe me? Watch your favorite scene of one of your favorite movies in digital surround sound, then immediately watch it again in stereo or mono and see for yourself! OR, buy one of the NARNIA radio shows and listen to it with headphones on, or in a car with a good sound system!)

Blah.

Okay, I should go away for now.

No comments: