Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Do You Have A Second Life?

Oh NO!!!

I have been introduced to yet ANOTHER distraction!!!

Yesterday Tommy told Brian and me about Second Life! And it's FASCINATING! I just spent, like, 4 hours in-world! (I'm still on Help Island, the place where you figure the world out and discover what all you can do.)

I'm struggling to figure out how to get my avatar -- the virtual "me" -- to just the way I want it to. And then I'm trying to figure out what I want to build.

You can build things inworld AND ACTUALLY SELL THEM! The SL money -- $L, or "Linden" -- has an actual $US value!!! So if you build something in there that other people want, you can sell it to them, AND ACTUALLY MAKE MONEY!

Now, this is wierd for me, because I'm a storyteller. I don't build things, I write about them, or shoot them flying off a cliff, or being possessed by demons. I don't think like a physical craftsman.

And I still don't have a clue what I might build just for myself, so I don't have to buy it from someone else inworld.

Am I sounding like a geek here?

The whole concept of Second Life is just amazing! You can buy land there, but you really don't have to. You appear inworl when you log in, then disappear after you log out. So you can spend your "second life" just wandering around and talking to people.

That's the other thing: You're talking to real people online! You're not interacting with sims, you're in this world with other people!

I've never really been part of an online community, much less a VIRTUAL one! So this is all new and exciting and addicting to me!

And, of course, that's what I DON'T need right now: A new addiction. I need to write and shoot and edit and create. And yet I find myself drawn to this new world.

Blah.

Anyway, if you've got some time on your hands, go check it out! You'll log in and it'll be hours past your bedtime before you know it!

No comments: