Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Gearing Up For X-FILES

Brian & I plan to see The X-Files: I Want To Believe tonight, and I can't wait!!! :D It's been a while since I've had me some X-Files in my life!

This is turning out to be a GREAT day! I woke up to an email from my Sweety -- and AMAZING way to start off ANY day!!! :D

And waking up this way -- and knowing that I've got X-Files in my immediate future -- is really just a continuation of the groove-age that was yesterday...

I went to sleep last night watching a very peculiar movie: A Boy And His Dog. Ever heard of it? 1975 film starring an 18-year-old Don Johnson, with Jason Robards in a featured part? Based on a novella by Harlan Ellison?

Fascinating flick!

It's the most recent Cult of UHF podcast, and I remember reading something about it being an important Sci-Fi flick (?!!), so after watching about 5 episodes of House -- this is AFTER an episode of Burn Notice and 2 episodes of Ghost Hunters International -- I decided to wrap-up my day with this flick.

Now, I remember seeing the VHS at my local National Video way back in the late '80s, with a picture of a young Don Johnson (who, frankly, looks exactly like the old Don Johnson somehow) wearing a cowboy hat. With a title like "A Boy And His Dog" and a pic of Johnson in a cheesy cowboy hat, there was NO WAY I was going to rent this stinker...

Then not too long ago I remember reading something listing A Boy And His Dog as (a) and important Sci-Fi flick and (b) A POST-APOCALYPTIC MOVIE.

I'm all "A Boy And His Dog is POST-APOCALYPTIC?!! Don Johnson in a cowboy hat is post-apocalyptic?!! And 'important' to the Sci-Fi genre?!!"

So when I was syncing my iPod earlier this week and I saw that the Cult of UHF episode for this month was this movie, I was kind of excited. I can finally see what this is all about.

And I did.

I like the flick. :) It's quirky, it contains some bold ideas (particularly for 1975) and it doesn't back down from them. In the '80s and '90s there was this tendency for Sci-Fi flicks to be all about the concept (and getting butts in the seats) and less about conveying an IDEA -- actually SAYING SOMETHING to your audience -- the thing that makes Sci-Fi and important genre. This movie has something to say, and they're not bashful about saying it, lol.

(Another selling point: I'm pretty sure the movie has boobies in it, but I was too tired and the iPod screen is too small to be sure, lol.)

The only thing I'll say about the film is that it starts off in 2024 after World War IV has scoured the surface of the Earth with nuclear war (Road-Warrior style, only this came out long before before Road Warrior) and a telepathic dog is guiding Don Johnson through the wasteland, helping him avoid bands of scavenging raiders.

That's the first minute of the film. ;P

It just gets more interesting from there.

You can download the flick or watch it online, or you can Netflix it, which ever you prefer. If the setup interests you, don't think you'll be disappointed by the movie!

I'm going to grab some breakfast and check out the showtimes for X-Files.

PEACE!!! :D

No comments: