Sunday, December 02, 2007

7 Days Later...

Hey, sorry it's been a while. Now that I'm writing, the weeks seem to just zoom by! It's nuts.

But cool! :)

DUDE!!!

Remember me blogging about having RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK on my iPod? Well now I have BATMAN BEGINS and SPIDER-MAN 2, as well!!! :D You should totally check out this guy Alpha Geek's article on how to do it.

I'm going through my KISS dvds now. I figure I need at least one KISS concert with me at all times.

OH!!!

Okay, here's the REAL news this month...

DIRK GENTLY'S HOLISTIC DETECTIVE AGENCY IS ON THE AIR!!!

Well, that is to say... It's not... At the moment...

Here's the thing...

Okay, back in July I discovered that Dirk Maggs and Above the Title Productions was adapting the Dirk Gently novels (and completing the unfinished third novel) for 3 BBC Radio 4 series. And when I discovered that there were 2 sources: One said the first series would air in December 2007, the other said the series would air in January 2008. So as to not make myself crazy with anticipation for the next 5 or 6 months, I put Dirk Gently out of my mind.

(Well... Not entirely... I re-read both the books first. THEN I put it out of my mind.)

So Wednesday I wake up with this burning need: I must know the status of the Dirk Gently series!

I mean, it's December now (well, it almost was on Wednesday), so even if the series doesn't start until January, it would be good to know if it's, like, January 5th or January 30th. Right?

But I couldn't check it out until I found a slow period at work.

I do a quick Google, and find THIS...

I MISSED THE FIRST SERIES!!! :(

Man it sucks not being able to get BBC Radio here.

However... There was kind of a bright side...

I missed the first series by SO MUCH that the cds are already available! So that's cool.

And if the cds are available, maybe there are download-able mp3s available, as well!

So I search...

The BBC Shop has it for £9.99, which is roughly US$20.00 or $25.00. I can't afford that this paycheck (this is the rent paycheck), but maybe next one.

Amazon UK has it for £9.59. Save a buck or two there...

But both of those options mean I have to wait FOREVER to hear this series, about which I am now positively OBSESSED.

Then I remember my mp3 download sources!!!

I go to Audible.com, where I find it for $20.35! And with that there's no shipping charges! (And I don't recall, but I'm guessing shipping from England would probably tack on another $5. So Audible.com is not only more convenient, but also cheaper!)

Then I make a mental note to check iTunes when I get home! When I do, I find it on iTunes for $17.95 or something. EIGHTEEN BUCKS!!!

I listened to the entire series before I went to bed Thursday morning!!! :D

So in less than 20 hours I went from wondering when the Dirk Gently radio series was going to begin, to discovering I had missed the first series, to discovering I could now enjoy the whole series all at once, to having enjoyed the entire series!

Big day for Ray Jay, lol.

I did feel a bit disappointed, none the less.

With Dirk Maggs' HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE series, I got to wake up on Tuesdays, all excited to listen to this week's episode on BBC's website. It was so badass! There's just something novel about listening to it episodically, being forced to wait a week between episodes.

But then I remembered something: I totally missed the Tertiary Phase of HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE. IN FACT, I didn't even know the last 3 HHGG books were being adapted for radio until I walked into a Borders Books and saw the completed series on cd!

So, if anything, my DIRK GENTLY experience is kind of duplicating my HHGG experience.

Which is kind of interesting.

Well... Interesting to me, lol.

So anyway, starting June 26th, visit the BBC Radio site and you can listen to that week's episode for 6 days after the episode is broadcast! If you listen to the trailer (which is the only thing available to listen to at the moment, until the second series starts up) you'll get a good idea of what you're in for.

And, by all means, get your hands on the first series!!! Dirk Maggs is absolutely BRILLIANT!!! The man knows how to make movies in your ears, lol!!! I kid you not, everything I've heard him do (BATMAN: KNIGHTFALL, SUPERMAN: DOOMSDAY & BEYOND, FLYWHEEL, SHYSTER & FLYWHEEL, HHGG Tertiary - Quintessential Phases) is EXCELLENT! And since he's doing audio, he's able to tell stories that no film studio would spend the money to do right! Even in animation! I mean, I love the direct-to-dvd movie SUPERMAN: DOOMSDAY, but if you want to know what really happened (besides reading the comics, which you should do anyway, lol) then listen to Dirk Maggs' SUPERMAN: DOOMSDAY & BEYOND!!!

Okay, I should probably get back to work now.

LOVE TO MY GNOMEY GODDESS!!! :D

And to all a good night!

No comments: