Monday, December 10, 2007

Howdy Friends & Lovers

Actually... There's only one lover, hehe....

AND I GOT TO TALK TO HER FOR QUITE A WHILE AFTER WORK!!! :D

Talk about a GREAT start to my weekend!!!

I came home and I was just about to plop into bed without signing onto the Net, but I signed on (just to be safe) AND MY GNOMEY GODDESS WAS ONLINE!!!

This has been a groovy week...

I was scheduled to go in for some over-time Tuesday, but I ended up going into work Monday, as well. But the groovy part is that a single day off suited me just fine this week!

usually I'm very protective of my time away from work, but with my baby working so much lately, it didn't bother me going in 2 extra days.

So that's cool!

I'm 2 days away from the deadline of my next chapter, and I still don't know what I'm gonna write, lol.

But that's kind of the way it seems to be going... I think about it casually from Thursday up till Sunday, then Monday and Tuesday I get serious and the next leg of the novel presents itself.

So I'm not really worried.

My baby says that's just my process, and I suspect she's right. :)

When I'm not working I've been playing Tomb Raider Legends A LOT, watching PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLDS END, and listening to the 2005 Broadway revival soundtrack to SWEENEY TODD!!! Those tunes just keep flitting through my noggin. I never know when to expect one of them, or which one it will be, lol.

GOOD music, though! (I don't think anyone has ever questioned Stephen Sondheim's brilliance, lol.)

Like many, many people in the world, I am eagerly anticipating the Big Screen adaptation due out this month.

Unlike many of those people, I'm not merely excited about it because of Johnny Depp...

My friend Tommy was in a production of it at the Globe of the Great Southwest, a replica of Shakespeare's Globe Theatre back where I grew up. If memory serves, the ONLY reason I went to see it was because Tommy was in it.

I didn't know Sondheim's work, and the it was promoted as Sweeney Todd -- not Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street -- so I figured I was going to be watching this girly musical.

MAN, was I surprised!!!

This would have been back in (or around) 1990 or 1991, and I wasn't as deep into Horror as I was as a young teen or as I am now. But there has always been a little Dark Side in me (as far as entertainment goes, that is; not interested in it in Real Life) and I simply couldn't believe what was going on up there on stage, lol!

It's STILL edgy, in 2007!!!

But beyond the gran guignol aspects of the story, there was (is) deep PASSION in that play! And Sondheim's music cuts to the core of that passion, filling you up and making you want to sing along with the characters emoting on stage!

Really brilliant!

Then , and I confirmed this with my ex-wife last night over the phone -- for whatever reason, she and I listened to the soundtrack (the original Broadway cast from 1979, with Angela Lansburry as Mrs. Lovett) over and over again!

So the play is tied up with a bit of my history, to me.

And I've been a fan of Tim Burton since EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, and he has let me down so often... But if he does what he does -- the moody, dark, gorgeous visuals -- and doesn't step on the story, the film version of SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET should be POWERFUL!

And if it's not... I can just go back to the soundtrack, lol.


Okay, I think it's about time for me to start thinking about bed, so PEACE!!! :D

No comments: