Sunday, August 05, 2007

My Dinner With Gan-Gan

Actually... There was no dinner...

I was going for a literary allusion...

Kind of...

But not a very apt one, really...

Brian and I went to visit our Gan-Gan (Mom's mom) in a "rehabilitation home" thingy tonight.

See Gan-Gan got sick 3 weeks ago and was taken into the hospital, where she stayed in an Intensive Care Unit for 2 of those weeks. Somehow her body was producing too much ammonia. (Which is bad. I mean, our bodies produce ammonia as a bi-product of digestion, but usually our liver turns it into urea and we... um... it comes out in our tinkles.)


And I'll be honest, I was a bit scared about what the visit might be like. When we saw Gan-Gan in the hospital, she wasn't Gan-Gan. Gan-Gan has a very distinct personality: Strong opinions which she keeps to herself in knowing silences when her opinion is not actively sought, quick to laugh at the absurdities everyday situations that most people don't even notices (though you wouldn't even spot the laugh if you didn't recognize the absurdity of the situation yourself), and always loving and supportive (unless she discovers that you've started smoking again after having successfully quit for 4 months).

But the woman in that ICU when Brian and Mom and I visited wasn't Gan-Gan. You could see Gan-Gan peaking out from the eyes. But the rest was just an old woman's body, sort of lifeless.

But for 2 1/2 years now, Sunday Night has transformed into Family Night, and so Brian and I WERE going to start spending Sunday Nights with Gan-Gan in this home in which the hospital placed her. (Mom hasn't found a place for her in Louisianna, yet, and we're not rich folk, so this hospital-recommended rehabilitation home thingy is the best any of us can do for now. (Btw, pray for Mom or me to win the lottery soon, lol.)

Brian and I were both SO PLEASED and encouraged, however, to see our Gan-Gan tonight!!! She's in a wheelchair for now, but that's acceptable, as long as she's in there.

And you may think I'm being poetic or melodramatic when I talk about seeing her in the ICU and her "peaking out through the eyes" of this body that wasn't hers (unless, God forbid, you've experienced this yourself; if possible, may you never see a loved one in that condition), but that's not just imagery. She told me this evening that she feels as though she woke up one morning in a different house with everyone telling her it's 3 weeks later. It's very much like she wasn't entirely in her body, like maybe in-and-out of the whole time.

Anyway... Not trying to go off on a spiritual tangent here, but I found that fascinating, and I can't wait to resume our conversation next Sunday!!!

It was really, really a nice experience and I am SO looking forward to future Sundays!

OOH!

Okay, on a much more superficial (by comparison) note: HOT FUZZ CAME IN THE MAIL YESTERDAY!!! I ordered the British version because there isn't an American version that's a 2-Disc set... Which means not as many Extras. So since I have a few non-regional players I decided it would be a better investment to buy the version with AS ANY Extras as possible!

HOT FUZZ RULES!!!

If I haven't stated that before, I'd very much like to go on record now: HOT FUZZ RULES!!!

On the Extras disc (UK Version) there's a "Plot Holes" section where one of the actors narrates an animatic filling in any plot holes one might have discovered after watching the flick and thinking about it, lol!

Frakkin' GENIUS!!!

Although, I have been considering buying an American copy for my friends who don't have non-region players... You know, as a loaner...

Wow, I haven't slept in almost 11 hours. I grabbed a couple hours of sleep after work... But I fell asleep listening to THE LONG, DARK TEA-TIME OF THE SOUL and, at one point, got so wrapted-up in the story that I had to listen to the novel to its ending (a novel I've listened to at least a doxen times before, lol) and I ended up staying awake all day, surfing SecondLife and hoping my baby came online to greet me before Brian & I went to visit Gan-Gan.

So I think I'm gonna go fall alseep watching HOT FUZZ with my li'l bro now.

PEACE!!!

:D

No comments: