Thursday, March 23, 2006

Hi, I'm Ray Jay, and I'm a SecondLife Addict

ALL: "Hi, Ray Jay."

Okay, so Brian and I are BOTH sitting at our computers, logged into the SecondLife site, the forums pages, announcements from the Lindens section, WAITING for the announcement that the grid is back up and we can log back in.

How SICK am I?!!

After a Tuesday spent ignoring email and just cattin' around SecondLife, I spent an inordinately large portion of my day today THINKING about SecondLife. The last few hours were spent waiting for the time that I could drive home and log back into SecondLife.

This is how sick I am: I even found a way to share SecondLife with YOU! I figured out that a picture is worth a thousand words, and planned a couple of blogs that would include photos: One is a tour of some places that I like to frequent, and the other follows me as I create something in-world.

I figured that if I combined images with my words, you might get a better impression of what it is that I love so much about the virtual world.

Hold on a sec...

Had to check the announcements. The grid is still down.

:(

Okay, now to be fair to me, I'm not ALONE in my obsession. (And I'm not just talkin' about my brother/roommater, either.) I don't remember the precise number, but out of a total residency (people who have are members of SecondLife are called "Residents") of 165,094, there were a little more that 2,000 people logged in when the grid went down.

AT 3-something A.M.!

Now, granted, some are from different parts of the world, so their time is different from mine.

At 3a my time it was 4a in New York, 2a in Los Angeles and 9a in London. (I know Londond time because last year when they aired the last 2 series of the HITCHHIKERS GUIDE TO THE GALAXY radio series, the only way I could hear it -- at first -- was to wake up and listen to it live on the BBC website.)

My points are these: (1) If most of the Residents of SecondLife are American, then there are upwards of 2,000 of them as obsessive as I am, because they were online at an odd hour, too; or (2) if Americans do not comprise the bulk of the SecondLife Residents, then the addiction is far-reaching, and I should be cut some slack on THAT account.

So there.

OHMYGOSH!!!

Andrew Linden just announced that the "asset cluster" is in the process of coming back up now!!!

This means I may be MINUTES away from loggin back in-world!!!

I think I'm about to wet myself!!!

:)

HEY! DON'T you judge me! Not till you've walked down 3 flights of stair in my commander boots. (That's what Walmart's "Survivors" brand calls its combat boots.) Brian's in there looking at snapshots from his excursions into SecondLife. Mock HIM!

Isn't it kinda cool, though, that we live in a world where the term "asset cluster" actually gives us some idea of what the problem is? I mean, if you had put the words "asset" and "cluster" next to each other in a sentence, I would have thought you were suffering a siezure. But with even the layman's understanding of computers and software nowadays, "asset cluster" gives you some idea of the nature of the problem.

Or am I just a nerd?

Brian just reported that one more person just came online in the last 5 seconds! That brings the total number of people in-world to 4.

The disheartening aspect to this news it that those 4 are probably Lindens -- people who work at Linden Labs, the creators of SecondLife -- who are only online to analyze and fix the problem. (You know, get the Asset Clusters back up and running...)

There are no new updates...

:(

And Brian just decided to retire for the evening.

Which is fine, really. I was surprised to find him awake when I got home this evening anyway. He's usually crashed by the time I get home. But the nature of the SL addiction is that you think of something you want to do in-world during your First Life, or RL ("Real Life"), and then you obsess about it until you can log in and do the thing you've been obsessing about. His hit him on his way to work. So the poor guy had some 8 hours to obsess before he could slake his SL thirst!

I just checked the updates, and it doesn't look like I'm logging in anytime soon, either.

It's funny, I spent all last week overwhelmed by all my pretty, shiny new toys. I've got HOURS of Vincent Price Old-Time Radio shows to listen to, 2 dvds worth of Jim Gaffigan's standup comedy, a bunch of PRIME PS2 games, 2 novels and 3 comic books to read, and the ONLY toy in my toybox that I really, really, REALLY want to play with is broken.

I supose I am a little bit sick.

Okay, I've got 8 minutes before I need to go to bed... Let's check the announcement board again...

Still down...

7 minutes...

Still down...

You know, one cool aspect to this evening is that I FINALLY leanred the keyboard shortcut to refresh an Internet window. It's F5.

6 minutes...

Still down...

5 minutes...

Still down...

I thank you for waiting here with me. I don't know if I could handle this withdrawal on my own.

4 minutes...

Still down...

I wonder how many 12-Step programs exist to help those of us with SL addiction...

3 minutes...

"Normally the asset cluster is resilient to a node failure, however shortly after tonights initial failure other nodes also went down and we don't yet know why. The cluster is in the process of coming back up now."

That's the last message posted by one of the Lindens. It hasn't changed. SecondLife is still down...

2 minutes...

Still down...

1 mintes...

YES!!! THE GRID IS BACK UP!!! Tesla Linden just thanked me for my patience!!!

I'll talk to you guys later!

No comments: