Sunday, January 04, 2009

Paranormal Weather...

I found this new site called Paranormal Weather, and I'm really excited about what this implies about the future of human evolution!

Mainstream science refuses to acknowledge things that go bump in the night. Many of the loudest detractors of paranormal phenomena have never been on a single investigation.

However... :)

Since you don't need a degree in physics to investigate, there are many, many smart cats out there studying the paranormal anyway, and many of them are gettin' creative! :D

There is a theory in the field that lightening storms and the like makes for more paranormal activity in a location that is normally active. The idea is that entities (ghosts or whatever) draw energy from their surroundings -- and this theory may be the explanation for the fact that batteries in flashlights and recording equipment tend to go out just before something paranormal happens, and it also may be the explanation for what are known as "cold spots," free-floating areas of surprisingly cold air that appear briefly (and often just before or during paranormal activity).

So a very clever man, Mike Hildenbrandt (not sure I spelled his name correctly; apologies if I didn't), set up the website with programs to monitor the global weather as another tool to help paranormal investigators analyze their findings!!!

Steve Gonsalves wrote an excellent article on the TAPS website called "Guarding Against Skepticism" that lays down the basics for the effective collection of evidence, and in it he points out that simply recording the same experience with more than one instrument helps to substantiate a personal experience. For example, if I'm in a reportedly haunted location and I think I feel a cold spot, that's simply a "personal experience", which translates as a cool story to tell. But if I happen to have a thermometer and record the temperature fluctuation, now I've got some evidence to back up my personal experience! If I happened to have recorded an EVP at that same time, NOW we're cookin' with gas! :)

So having a website that monitors the weather across the country (or the globe? need to check that out) can, perhaps, add yet another instrument to help investigators either verify experiences or -- hopefully -- better understand the nature of paranormal phenomena!

Friggin' BRILLIANT!!! :D

Like all things regarding the paranormal, this weather stuff is just theory at this point. (But if you talk to enough "legitimate" scientists you'll discover that mainstream science itself is still largely a collection of theoies; so hmm...)

I found out about the site from Todd Sheet's excellent podcast The Nightwatch Show. Here's the link to listen to the show online, but if you're interested you'll want to visit soon. The podcasts aren't permanent and the shows tend to go away. (They may remain available longer on iTunes, but I'm not certain.)

This news excited me, so I just thought I'd share. :)

No comments: