Thursday, October 06, 2005

MONSTER DOG(!!!)

Sorry it's been a while. But I've been busy getting my Firefly on!!!

Tuesday, Brian and I ate at Ramano's Macarronni Grille (SO tastey!!!) and then we watched 4 episodesof FIREFLY, then went to see SERENITY -- his first time, my second -- then came home to catch some more FIREFLY!!!

That was a GOOD day!

Then yesterday I had to work, but when I got home I had MONSTER DOG in my mailbox from Netflix!

This is a 1984 Alice Cooper movie that was apparently shot somewhere overseas.

And it's BAD!

But it's SO bad that... It's kinda cool!

I think you have to be a long-time fan of the horror genre to get what I mean, though. See, there are TONS of horror out there, and the majority of it is crap. But if you grow up loving horror, you end up watching the turds to get to those unexpected gems.

And I think this process eventually develops in you a "taste" for certain varieties of bad horror. There are just some types of bad horror that have their own amusement. You laugh at the bad stuff -- story, dialogue, acting, etc. -- and just enjoy it for what it's worth, getting MUCH more out of it than the filmmakers put in.

MONSTER DOG is one of those.

And it exists on a hard-to-define level of cheese.

It's not PLAN 9 FROM OUTTER SPACE aweful. In fact, most of Ed Wood's stuff is so unintentionally humorous that it can safely be catagorized as Comedy.

And it's not almost-good, like Carpenter's IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS, where you really, really want to love it, but it just doesn't do for you what it's trying to do.

MONSTER DOG resides VERY snuggly in the realm of Bad Horror.

But like I said, it's SO bad...

No comments: