Saturday, November 10, 2007

Good Week So Far :)

This is going to be another boring one, sorry.

But life is groovy here!

I started thinking about Chapter Two (due Tuesday) last Wednesday. I came up with about 3 pages of notes about the characters and the world. Thursday and Friday are always busy, but I was actually able to write several more pages of notes tonight.

So that's cool.

I still don't have my "hook" for Chapter Two (that thing that excites me and makes me feel confident it will excite my reader), but I still have a couple of days to come up with that. The first chapter was super short, so I want this second one to be meatier, and therefore would prefer to start working on it as soon as Sunday.

But creativity comes in it's own time, so I'll just have to be patient.

Stephen King visualizes The Muse as a stubby, fat, cigar-chomping little bastard who comes and goes as he pleases (which is never when you feel you need him).


So King recommends we settle down to the blank page with technique and skill, and while we're in the midst of just doing the best we can, The Muse pops in and does his thing.

This, I feel, is probably excellent advice.

Only, until now, I really didn't have any idea what King meant about applying "technique"... As far as I'm concerned, I can't apply technique to my writing unless I have something to write.

But now I'm starting to think that "technique" is -- among other things -- whatever devices you use to make story appear. You don't know what happens next? Pick something and make it the best you can, and get going. As you work to write something compelling and interesting (if I understand the theory correctly) The Muse will eventually show up and give you what the story really needs.

I mean, I dunno... We'll see...

That's why I need to have someone willing to kick my ass if I don't turn something in every week: I have no idea what I'm doing, lol!

Okay, I need to do some more work. (Work work, not writing work, sadly.)

I'll try to check in soon, even if I don't have anything cool to report.

PEACE!!!

:D

No comments: