Saturday, September 20, 2008

EVOO To You, Too, Dude

I keep hearing this phrase that I am completely unfamiliar with: "extra-virgin olive oil".

What the hell is that?

When confronted with a configuration of words that is completely alien to me, my first step is to analyze the individual words and ascertain their meanings.

Which leads me to a rather odd mental image...

So, it would seem, in the case of extra-virgin olive oil that not only have the olives not had sex, but they've never even masturbated.

Which, to me, is kind of a sad life, right? I mean, you grow up never having experienced an orgasm, then you're liquified and eaten!

(And not in the fun way, either!)

I mean, I suppose that if I'm eating a food cooked with olive oil, I prefer that no one has had sex with the olives beforehand. So I guess I can get behind the concept of virgin olive oil.

But I think "extra-virgin" is going a little too far. I say let the olives touch themselves as much as they like during their short lives!

And how Puritanical and repressed are we as a society that we are so concerned with the chastity of olives? Is this emotionally healthy behavior? Should we be peeking in olives' bedroom windows?

I'd like to make some kind of sexy joke here about "extra" meaning that the olives are bringing more olives into the mix, but if they're virgin olives they're probably not doing anything particularly interesting with the extra olives.

My buddy Pete told me that, apparently, extra-virgin olive oil is just what folks are using now to cook with. Like, when my parents were kids people cooked with butter, and their parents cooked with lard, and when I was a kid everyone cooked with "cooking oil", and I guess now it's EVOO. But I don't get where the "extra-virgin" bit enters into it. Does this phrase actually comunicate information about the preparation of the olives, or is it just filler like "super-duper"?

I'll Wikipedia the phrase and find out.

One second...

Okay, so it appears that extra-virgin olive oil (DUDE! I totally got the spelling right before I had seen the phrase in print, right down to the hypen! You're impressed, aren't you!) means that the oil has no more than 0.8 % acidity which, apparently, means the oil has a better taste.

Ya learn something every day. :)

LOVE TO MY GNOMEY!!! :D

No comments: