Saturday, May 17, 2008

Groovin' My Groove-Thang

Hola, me peeps!

Just checking in. Nothing major…

EXCEPT WEDNESDAY! DUDE!!!

This ridiculous storm smashed Austin Wednesday! My first day back to work and for the first six hours of my ten-hour shift we’re slammed reporting the weather!

These two large storm cells came up from southwest and north east of us and collided, forming this gargantuan super-cell and just pummeling us!

I spent the next two hours after that doing paperwork, reporting what went wrong and why.

We lost power at the station a couple of times, but the back-up generator kicked on, so we stayed on air. But after the hail and nigh-hurricane-force wind ceased, I stepped outside to survey the damage…

Green leaves covered most of the concrete and asphalt. Tree branches, and even entire chucks of trees, littered the parking lot and street. And for half a mile in every direction, the station was the only building with electricity!

It was kind of groovy.

Brian called me up during the worst of it. He had been sound asleep when tornado sirens woke him up. He figured since he was awake, and had already gotten some sleep, he’d play some Age of Mythology, but then the power died, lol. Since we don’t have TV, he usually checks out the Live Doppler Radar on the Net when the weather starts getting interesting. But with no power, he was forced to give me a call to find out what’s going on.

He also grabbed my portable dvd player and popped Twister in, lol. (He’s not the only one… I enjoy watching storm movies when the weather is feisty, too. Or, like, watching The Fog (the carpenter version) when you can see three feet in front of your face outside, lol.)

Driving home, I got to see what a mess the rest of the city was. The trip began with a construction worker walking over to my car to let me know that he’d cleared as much of the branches and wash-over (I believe that’s the term he used) out of the street as he could, but that the lights at the intersection were out, so I needed to be careful.

Which I thought was very considerate of him!

Then when I got to work Thursday night, my boss had bought all of us dinner, for having done a good job during Wednesday night’s chaos.

Which I thought was not only considerate, but practical! :D I always appreciate a free meal!

This weekend’s going to be cool: I’m going to be animating! The producers of Watchmen are having a contest in which Watchmen fans can create their own Veidt product commercials, and the best ones will appear on TV screens in the background! We’ve written 3 commercials so far, and 2 of them are graphics-driven, and one requires an actual physical shoot. We’re not ready for the shoot just yet, so Tommy and I will be working online together on the 2 graphics-driven ones.

I wish I could show you the one I’m working on, but I doubt I’ll be able to. (I haven’t read the rules yet, so I’ll check on it.)

Also, I’m one disc away from having finished Alias, Season 2, AND my good friend Lothar has loaned me Season 3! So I’ll be able to go straight from the season 2 cliff-hanger to the Season 3 Premiere! (Which, I can already tell, is going to be a NECESSITY, the way those maniacs dick around with their show, lol! Halfway through Season 2 they complete the objective that you thought it was going to take them the entire run of the show to complete, leaving your head reeling and your mouth just going “Wha? Huh?!”)

Oh, and that reminds me: I’m 2 episodes behind on LOST, and I’ve been told they just started the first episode of a 3-episode Season Finale! So I need to catch up there, too.

Luckily for me, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull doesn’t come out in theaters until next week, or else I’d likely get NOTHING done, lol.

DUDE!!! A NEW INDIANA JONES!!! I was, like, 10 when the first one came out! It changed my life, permanently mutating me into an Action Movie junky!!! :D The third movie came out a month after I graduated, and I clearly remember reading the novelization during my graduation rehearsal!

Which seems sort of sycronistic, as I’m going to go watch my daughter graduate the week after Indy IV is released…

Okay, I need to get to bed.

Oh! I didn’t even tell you the coolest part of the week! I started this week off with a little Gnomey-lovin’! This is just a big, fat, bad-ass week for me!

And I suspect cooler things to come…

I hope your weekend is blissful and your next week is just A BLAST!!! :D

No comments: