Saturday, May 22, 2010

Dad-Blamed TV Writers!!! :(

BASTARD TV WRITERS!!!

I just watched the Season Finale of Castle and those cursed writers are leaving me dangling for the summer!!!

GGRRR!!!

I wanna be a little bitch here and name names:

First of all, from the quick online research I've done, the man to blame here is Andrew W. Marlowe. He's the guy credited with creating such lovable, fascinating character and placed them in such an addictive world. AND... that little bugger that wrote one of those heart-breaking, keep-you-squirming-until-next-fall-when-the-show-is-back-on-air Season Finales!!!

Heartless prick! :(

Do I realize I'm being petty and childish?

Yes, I do... And I realize that those of you with cable and TiVo and don't work at a TV station -- and thereby watch more TV than I do -- are saying, "Don't be such a wuss! Season Finales are always cliff-hangers!"

But dammit, the guy has created such an addictive world!!!

And, in particular, he has created one of those perfect and compelling Ross & Rachel/Tim & Dawn relationships -- dramatized by a couple of the most lovable actors in TV right now, no less -- that just makes you wanna see them together and happy!

And now he's given us ambiguity!!! :(

I mean, yeah, sure, most likely the first episode of Season 3 will resolve the ambiguity and we'll be right back on-course for another season of fun flirty and crime-solving, but still...

Call me a sissy, but I like a Season Finale that promises HOPE for the next season! Did you ever see the TV series of The Dresden Files? THAT gave you HOPE! The Mystery-of-the-Week was solved, and everything was okay, but then the coda for the episode hinted at the potential for even more fun romantic tension for the (theoretical) second season!

THAT is a GREAT Season Finale!

Cliff-hangers are weak sauce. They are insecure writing. They're like those Big Bosses at the end of some levels of video games that nigh-impossible to kill. The game creators are afraid that if the game is too easy you won't buy the next installment. But I don't buy Tomb Raider games for the challenge, I buy them for Lara Croft and the world of Tomb Raider! Same with TV series. I don't watch them because I 3 months of anxiety; I watch them because the stories and characters are awesome!

Seriously, if Castle hadn't ended with a cliff-hanger, would it really lose any viewers over the summer? For the reals?! Who watched Castle and thinks, "If only things were more tense and anxiety-giving"?

By the way, I don't want to let the Writer's Room slide here! Andrew W. Marlowe may be the creator and the guy credited with writing the script for "A Deadly Game" butTV shows aren't written in a vacuum. IMDb.com lists David Grae, Alexi Hawley, Will Beall, Elizabeth Davis, Terri Miller, Terence Paul Winter, René Echevarria, Moira Kirland, Jose Molina and Barry Schindel as writers for the show, and you know -- you know -- that all of them took devilish glee over how much they would make us squirm with this awful ending!!!

Bastards, one and all!

May they all feel guilt and shame for manipulating my emotions that way!

I mean "our". "Manipulating our emotions that way," is what I meant to type.

I'm not shaking my tiny fists at the heavens for on my own behalf... I'm standing up for all of us who love Detective Kate Beckett and Richard Castle and want to see them fall blissfully into bed together!

...

Okay, so maybe it's mostly about me... Say, 10% Me, 90% All Castle Fans.

Or maybe 40/60...

Maybe more 80/20, BUT STILL...

...it was mean of them, and I don't approve.

Will I stop watching the show out of principal?

NO FRAKKIN' WAY!!! I friggin' LOVE that show!!! I'm just bitter that I can't watch the next episode next week!

Castle is CLASSIC!!! (Did anyone else catch the fun little in-joke of Castle watching His Girl Friday on his laptop? GENIUS!) I mean, in a world of 24 and Battlestar Galactica how can you NOT love a frivolous little series wherein the mysteries get solved every week and the angst is kept to a minimum?!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing the AMAZING writing of the above mentioned shows. But I'm just saying that life has plenty of drama in it, and I am thankful for folks who just want to entertain me for an hour or so! In my teens/20s, I really appreciated entertainment that dealt with Big Issues, and I still enjoy that in the 2-hour format of movies or the self-contained space of a novel. But if I want to be horrified by man's inhumanity to man, I'll watch a documentary or watch the news. Screw the news, actually --it doesn't really present a fraction of the entire story anymore -- if I want to deal with the Big Issues, I'll ask my friends what's going on in their lives! THERE lies the true drama of life on this physical plane!

And then there's the other extreme: Brainless sitcoms that don't make any sense unless you turn your mind off and just go with the less-than-logical story logic of the hack writers of the show. I hate those types of "entertainment".

So a show like Castle is just the right temperature for me: Smart, yet fun!

And if I'm honest, this season's finale could have been much worse. It's not like they killed Beckett or made Castle an outlaw or something.

Still...

I was having a wonderful time up until the very end of the episode.

And now I'm bitching about it.

And now I think I'm done.

No comments: