Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Misty for Mistie ;P

So I'm currently obsessed with Mystery Science Theater 3000 again, lol.

I mean, I've been a fan of the show since someone told me about it, back in the early 1990s. (I'm temped to say that my first episode, or one of my first, might be Manos: The Hands of Fate, which first aired in 1993, but I don't know if that's right, and I don't know if I saw it when it originally aired.) I even owned a few of the VHS releases of the shows, way back before DVD was widespread (or even extant).

And I know I was pretty deep because when Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie came out I talked the Morning News crew into all getting together and going to see it! It was playing at the Dobie Theater here, and I didn't know it at the time, but the movie's widest theatrical release was only 26 theaters nationwide! The Dobie Theater here in Austin was one of twenty-six theaters nationwide that screen the flick!!! :D

That was back in 1996, maybe a year after I started working at the TV station, and I remember being excited that MST3K was releasing a theatrical movie, so I must have learned about the TV show before 1996.

Anyway, where I'm going with this is that I've always loved the show, but this is probably the first time I've been onsessed with it.

I don't know why, either.

I mean, there's so much to love about the show, to be sure: There Joel, or Mike, and the Bots, stuck in outter space with nothing better to do with their time than riff on horrible movies and perform little skits. It's a simple life, and with that crew, one would imagine it would be a constant party! MST3K turns some of the worst movies ever made into a party! For most of the episodes, it doesn't matter how many times you've seen them, they're always funny and fun!

But I honestly don't even know why I got the urge to start watching the show again! Much less become have to watch several episodes on my days off and read as much information about it as the Net has to offer, lol.

Still, I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth (usually) so I'm just enjoying this latest personal craze. It's free, it's fun, so YEE-HAW!!! :D

Plus, I can convert the episodes I have for my iPod, which means I have a sort of video security blanket I can take with me everywhere, lol. ;P (I can only fit 2 or 3 episodes on my iPod, though, because it's loaded with tons of music and audibooks, plus I wacth the latest episode of Dollhouse on it, too. So I have to keep switching out episodes, but that's okay.)

Not sure why I'm sharing this with you, lol. But other than reading about the paranormal, emailing my Gnomey-Goddess, playing those cursed Zynga games on facebook or working, that's pretty much what I'm up to.

:)

No comments: